Due to the large number of international students who visit the Isle of Wight College, we are always seeking host families for our homestay programmes.
The International Department has welcomed students from around the world since 1991.
Homestay Accommodation has assisted in providing an excellent student experience whilst studying at the Isle of Wight College.
All International students who study at the College are offered Homestay Accommodation and throughout the year the Department receives requests for long and short term placements.
TYPES OF PROGRAMMES AND STUDENTS
Students can study various courses:
|Course Type||Placement Length||Student Age Groups|
|Level 3 Course||Long placement, 10-12 months||18 years +|
|Summer School||Short placement, 1-14 weeks||13 years +|
|Cultural Programme||Short placement, 1-14 weeks||13 years +|
|Work Placements||Short placement, 1-8 weeks||16 years +|
WHO CAN BECOME A HOST FAMILY?
The International Department is looking for appropriate families who can provide a caring and safe environment for students.
Any single person or family who has a clear criminal record and suitable accommodation can apply to provide Homestay.
HOW CAN YOU BECOME A HOST FAMILY?
Before you can become a Host Family, all applicants will be required to undergo a Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) check; this includes anyone aged 18 years and over.
Whilst waiting for the DBS checks, the Department will further your application by carrying out a Homestay Assessment. This yearly visit will assess the student’s bedroom and any shared communal areas.
Recommendations will be made if any area is unacceptable for an International Student.
After receiving a clear DBS check and assessment, you will receive an invitation to become a Homestay provider along with a Homestay Terms and Conditions pack, which you will need to read through and then sign.
All Host Families are expected to provide a clean and safe home as well as the following duties:
- Collect the student on arrival from the ferry terminal
- Provide a light, clean, warm and presentable bedroom that has adequate storage (Only one student per bed, double beds cannot be shared. Bedrooms may only be shared at the request of the students)
- Provide healthy and nutritious meals: Breakfast, packed lunch and dinner
- A quiet place to study either in their room or access to an area within the home
- Direct the students to the College on their first day of attendance
- Integrate the student into your daily lives as much as possible
- Deliver the student to the ferry terminal upon departure
Please consider the students feelings at all times and the potential difficulties they will be experiencing talking with you and your family alongside coping with very different cultures.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM US?
For offering Homestay provision to International learners, the College offers you:
- Well behaved and considerate students
- 24 hour Emergency contact line
- Support and help from the International Department
- £13.00 per student, per night contribution
The Isle of Wight College is committed to safeguarding, visit our Student Support page for further information.
If you would like to become an Isle of Wight College approved Homestay provider, please contact the International Department to arrange your Homestay Assessment and to complete your DBS form.
Call Pat or Tara now on 01983 535205 or email email@example.com or visit us in the International office.