|Study type||Study Tier||Start Date||Duration||Course Contact|
|1 September 2019||2 years||Victoria Egerton|
Under franchise from University of Portsmouth – delivered at The Isle of Wight College.
- A minimum of level 3 (A level or equivalent) within your subject specialist area
- Sufficient experience to establish professional competence
- Teaching opportunities of at least 50 hours per year
- GCSE Maths and English at grade 4 (C) or above – or equivalent
- Successful interview
- All offers are subject to Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) clearance and Occupational Health clearance
- English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.0 with no component score below 5.5.
WHY TAKE THIS COURSE?
This recognised teaching qualification enables industry professionals to become a qualified further education teacher. The course encourages you to develop subject-specific knowledge by working closely with your course tutors and work-based subject mentors.
WHAT WILL I EXPERIENCE?
On this course, you will develop your skills as a teacher through practical activity and the study of theories and contemporary issues within further education. You will join fellow professionals from a range of subject backgrounds for lectures and seminars, creating an effective peer network where a variety of teaching practice can be shared. You will then gain work experience in a teaching placement.
You are expected to either be in teaching employment or have secured your own teaching placement where you will teach at least 50 hours per year and have an identified subject mentor. Attendance is through one session a week – currently timetabled for 5.15 – 8.15 on either a Tuesday or Wednesday (to be confirmed) although you will be expected to undertake your own research and further reading in your own time.
You will need to maintain or develop proficiency in IT as a University of Portsmouth and Isle of Wight College student. This will be vital to your future career in teaching and we will support you by offering access to our computer suites and academic support services.
WHAT OPPORTUNITIES MIGHT IT LEAD TO?
This Certificate in Education provides the skills and knowledge to pursue teaching roles in further education environments, including:
- Further education colleges
- Sixth-form colleges
- Private training providers
- Public services
- Voluntary organisations
The Certificate in Education is a professional teaching qualification which is recognised by further education providers in the UK. Those wishing to undertake further academic study may wish to top-up to a BA (Hons) Education and Training at the University of Portsmouth.
STRUCTURE AND TEACHING
The course is split into four units that are studied over two years.
Year 1 focuses on developing you as a teaching practitioner. This involves learning about teaching concepts and developing practical skills in planning and delivering lessons to a high standard, as well as assessing students. This will be delivered and assessed via the following two units:
- Unit 1.1 Planning, Assessing and Evaluating Teaching and Learning Programmes: this unit encourages you to understand how to organise and plan your teaching and learning sessions and use different assessment methods, as well as start developing your own personal and professional skills.
- Unit 1.2 Theories and Principles for Planning and Enabling Learning in a Specialist Subject Area: in this unit you will examine a range of teaching and learning theories, learn how to plan and develop inclusive learning into your lessons and understand how to use a range of communication and classroom management skills.
Year 2 is designed to enable you to establish a wider knowledge of the further education sector. You will research contemporary issues which are affecting further education as well as continuing to hone your teaching practice. This will be delivered and assessed via the following two units:
- Unit 2.1 Professional Practice: this unit encourages you to review the development of your personal and professional skills, develop a career management file and research into a specific area of your teaching.
- Unit 2.2 Curriculum Design in a Specialist Subject Area: in this unit you will learn about the range of contexts in which education and training are offered, analyse theories and models of curriculum design and understand how to promote equality within practice.
Note: You will be supplied with separate handbooks which provide more detail on the learning aims and assessment for each of the above units.
TEACHING AND ASSESSMENT
Teaching aims to demonstrate good practice and therefore employs a range of styles which include seminars, workshops, lectures and active group participation. Your time in class will develop your skills and knowledge to inform your own teaching practice and help to develop your own teaching style.
The emphasis throughout the course is on inclusive learning and teaching combined with reflective practice within a teacher’s own specialist subject area.
HOW ARE YOU ASSESSED?
Each teaching block you will complete two units of study, with each unit comprising between 2 – 3 assignments. On the full-time pathway you will take both teaching blocks (four units of study) during the year. On the part-time pathway you will take one teaching block (two units of study) each year.
Each unit has varying approaches to assessment. Examples include research based essays, teaching practice files, lesson observations and logging personal development which will be supported by reflective accounts.
FACILITIES AND FEATURES
The Isle of Wight College is considered to be in the top 10% of General Further Education colleges in the country and subsequently is highly focused upon the use of appropriate and engaging methods of learning. You will be a student of both the Isle of Wight College and University of Portsmouth and as such will have full access to all the facilities of both institutions, including the libraries which have many resources that can be accessed remotely.
The CertEd offers non-graduates in teaching roles the opportunity to secure a qualification in their chosen profession, enhancing your potential for promotion and progression. It also paves the way to a BEd in education.
Application should be made to University of Portsmouth using the online form*.
From the drop-down menu choose:
- Education, Childhood and Youth Studies
- Part Time
- Cert Ed Further Education and Training
- Isle of Wight College
The course will commence in September 2019. Further details are available from The University of Portsmouth.
Fees for 2019 entry are £2,375. This annual fee may incur a small inflation linked rise for the subsequent years of study.
For information regarding assistance with fees; please refer to the government student finance site.
Advice is also available via The University of Portsmouth Student Finance Centre.Last updated 28 mins ago.