|Study type||Study Tier||Start Date||Duration||Course Contact|
|1 September 2019||1 year||Les Maxwell|
The Isle of Wight College has standard entry requirements for full-time college courses, depending on the level of the course to be studied.
There may be additional entry requirements for a small number of specialist courses. If this course is one of these specialist courses, additional entry requirements will be stated below.
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
This programme has been developed to address a need to develop learners’ basic plumbing skills and knowledge to enable them to progress to Diploma in Plumbing Studies Level 2 and NVQ2 in Plumbing. It also develops an awareness of health and safety issues within the work environment.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
The aims and objectives of the course are to provide learners with an understanding of safety at work, basic principles and processes applied to plumbing, hot and cold water systems including above ground drainage, customer relationships and environmental awareness.
This award consists of 10 mandatory units
- Unit 101 : Structure of the construction industry
- Unit 102 : Fundamental safe working practices
- Unit 103 : Environment and sustainability in domestic dwellings
- Unit 104 : Site preparation for working in the construction industry
- Unit 108 : Above ground drainage
- Unit 109 : Copper pipework
- Unit 110 : Plastic pressure pipework
- Unit 111 : Low carbon steel pipework
- Unit 112 : Installation, repair and maintenance of plumbing systems
- Unit 113 : Plumbing science
All theory units are linked to practical tasks which are internally assessed to meet industry standards.
As part of the programme of study you will also be expected to develop your key skills in Numeracy, Communication, and Information Technology. These qualifications will be integrated into your plumbing studies and will form part of the expected criteria for progression.
HOW WIIL I LEARN?
Achievement of the learning outcomes is assessed internally. All assessment criteria must be met to achieve learning outcomes. You will learn through practical application and class room investigation.
WHAT CAN THIS COURSE LEAD TO?
Diploma in Plumbing Studies Level 2 – Plumbing NVQ Level 2.
- Steel toe cap safety boots
All Study Programmes for 16-19 year olds at The Isle of Wight College are designed to include:
- Work experience which is effective, relevant, and includes careers fairs, site visits, guest speakers and introduces you to the expectations of the real demands of work
- English and maths, where students have not yet achieved a GCSE grade A* - C (9 - 4 using the new grades) in these subjects by age 16
- Non-qualification activity, such as tutorials and work-related learning, to help further develop the personal skills relevant to your progression goals
- A vocational experience which will form the substantial part of the programme
These four elements of the programme should combine to provide stretch and challenge for you helping to prepare you for progression to employment or further study.
Please refer to the 16 to 19 study programme document to learn more.Last updated 11 mins ago.