|Study type||Study Tier||Start Date||Duration||Course Contact|
|31 August 2020||TBC||Sarah Cansdale|
The Isle of Wight College has standard entry requirements for full-time college courses, depending on the level of the course to be studied.
There may be additional entry requirements for a small number of specialist courses. If this course is one of these specialist courses, additional entry requirements will be stated below.
WHO IS THE COURSE FOR?
Anyone wishing to gain an introduction to the world of Hair and Beauty that may wish to take up a junior position in the future in a Hair salon. This qualification is for those with a specific interest in the Hairdressing Industry.
This course is a full time option and is suitable for students 16 years or above.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
Skills and knowledge that are needed to start a career in Hair. Subjects include: Literacy and Numeracy to support you in the workplace, Introduction to basic hair care, how to assist and support a Hair Stylist, introduction to the Beauty Therapy Industry, learning about professional presentation, improving your own learning and health and safety in the workplace. Styling hair, colouring hair using temporary colour, plaiting and creating an image using colour.
HOW WILL I LEARN?
The course has been designed so that students control their pace of assessment. Students will mainly have a practical timetable which will include sessions working in the commercial Hair/Beauty salon; students will also have assignments, oral questions and exams to support each relevant area of learning. This will be proof that students have mastered a particular aspect of the trade and gained the necessary knowledge and skills to achieve their Level 1 in an Introduction to the Hair and Beauty Sector.
Please note that there are no practical beauty units included in this qualification.
- Team Building Exercises
- Equality and Diversity Exercises
- Improving Communication Skills
- Interview Techniques
- Health Related Topics
- Creating a mood board and an Image based on the theme.
WHAT CAN THIS COURSE LEAD TO?
- Level 2 Hairdressing
- Employment within The Hair And Beauty Industry
All Study Programmes for 16-19 year olds at The Isle of Wight College are designed to include:
- Work experience which is effective, relevant, and includes careers fairs, site visits, guest speakers and introduces you to the expectations of the real demands of work
- English and maths, where students have not yet achieved a GCSE grade A* - C (9 - 4 using the new grades) in these subjects by age 16
- Non-qualification activity, such as tutorials and work-related learning, to help further develop the personal skills relevant to your progression goals
- A vocational experience which will form the substantial part of the programme
These four elements of the programme should combine to provide stretch and challenge for you helping to prepare you for progression to employment or further study.
Please refer to the 16 to 19 study programme document to learn more.Last updated 58 mins ago.