|Study type||Study Tier||Start Date||Duration||Course Contact|
|2 September 2019||TBC||Steve Plant|
The Isle of Wight College has standard entry requirements for full-time college courses, depending on the level of the course to be studied.
There may be additional entry requirements for a small number of specialist courses. If this course is one of these specialist courses, additional entry requirements will be stated below.
What Is This Course?
This qualification contains all the elements of fitness instructing gym-based exercise, exercise and physical activity for children together with employment rights and responsibilities, career opportunities in the active leisure sector, customer service, nutrition and optional units to include circuit training and fitness/physical activity for children.
Learners will cover:
Knowledge and understanding relating to the qualification:
- an understanding of the benefits of a balanced diet and its contribution to a healthy lifestyle
- how to plan and prepare group exercise sessions
- how to programme a variety of safe and effective exercise sessions for a range of clients
- how to instruct a variety of exercise sessions
- anatomy and physiology covering the heart and circulatory system, the respiratory system, structure and function of the skeleton, musculoskeletal system, postural and core stability, the nervous and energy systems and their relation to exercise
- how to maintain health, safety and welfare in a variety of fitness environments, including the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults
- how to communicate with clients effectively and motivate clients to adhere to an exercise programme
- employment law, industry specific legislation and procedures that apply to their jobs
- the subsectors that make up the active leisure and learning sector
- an understanding of the Principles of Customer Service
Progression to Level 3 requires successful completion of this programme including functional skills.
This qualification provides entry to REPs (the Register of Exercise Professionals) at level 2.
Level 2 Diploma in Fitness Instructing
- Anatomy and physiology for exercise
- Health, safety and welfare in a fitness environment
- Know how to support clients who take part in exercise in physical activity
- Plan gym-based exercise
- Instructing gym-based exercise
- Understanding employment rights and responsibilities
- Understanding the active leisure and learning sector
- Understanding the employing organisation
- Developing self
- Principles of customer service
- Food groups and digestion
- Diet and nutrition
- Planning group training circuit sessions
- Instructing group training circuit sessions
- Planning health-related exercise and physical activity for children
- Instructing health-related exercise and physical activity for children
All Study Programmes for 16-19 year olds at The Isle of Wight College are designed to include:
- Work experience which is effective, relevant, and includes careers fairs, site visits, guest speakers and introduces you to the expectations of the real demands of work
- Extended work experience/industry placement for Level 2 learners Over the course of your Level 2 study programme you may be expected to do between 36 – 415 hours of industry placement depending on the course you have chosen. All learners are expected, and encouraged, to do their best to find their own relevant, purposeful work experience which supports their career progression.
- English and maths, where students have not yet achieved a GCSE grade A* - C (9 - 4 using the new grades) in these subjects by age 16
- Non-qualification activity, such as tutorials and work-related learning, to help further develop the personal skills relevant to your progression goals
- A vocational experience which will form the substantial part of the programme
These four elements of the programme should combine to provide stretch and challenge for you helping to prepare you for progression to employment or further study.
Please refer to the 16 to 19 study programme document to learn more.Last updated 27 mins ago.