|Study type||Study Tier||Start Date||Duration||Course Contact|
|2 September 2019||TBC||Jo Lutas|
Forest Schools are a series of outdoor sessions that are aimed at all ages; from young children to adults. Attending a Forest School has been proven to have a tremendous impact on well-being, stress levels, happiness, concentration and behaviour.
This course equips students with the skills to confidently support a Forest School Leader with forest school programmes.
Forest schools is an inspirational process, that offers ALL learners regular opportunities to achieve and develop confidence and self-esteem through hands-on learning experiences in a woodland or natural environment with trees. Forest School is a specialised learning approach that sits within and compliments the wider context of outdoor and woodland education.
The ethos of Forest Schools is shared by thousands of trained practitioners across the UK and beyond; its roots reach back to early year’s pioneers in outdoor learning and across the sea to Scandinavia.
WHO IS THE COURSE FOR?
This course is designed for people who are interested in the outdoor environment and leading and organizing courses for others: learning in and about the outdoor environment.
Applicants for this programme need to have an interest in working with people/children in the outdoor environment
The Forest School programme is validated and awarded LASER (formerly NCON).
The course focuses around the Holistic approach to learning and wellbeing:
- Themselves: For your leaners to have self-respect and self esteem
- Relationships With Others: Growing in emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills
- Resilience: Overcoming difficulties and taking on challenges
- Aesthetics: The beauty of their natural surroundings and having awe and wonder in their lives.
The two modules undertaken will be:
|2||Skills for the Forest School Programme Assistant|
|2||Supporting Learning and Development at a Forest School Programme|
WHY DO THIS QUALIFICATION WITH THE ISLE OF WIGHT COLLEGE?
- We have the use of two beautiful woodland and meadow sites in which we will be running our courses most of the time
- We are currently running the only level 2 Forest school training on the island
- Five sessions of practical experience and practical assessment in the forest
- Five sessions of specific portfolio input and support
- An online 24 hour access virtual learning environment with materials and information on, an area to post messages and questions to tutors and to other students in your class whilst you are building your portfolio
- An email support system for portfolio building questions and support
- Access to a website particularly built for the course, with lots of useful links to FS and related resources
- Use of all college libraries and facilities, including computers, internet, and free printing whilst on the course
- Free mini bus travel from the college- to and from the woodlands
- Learning support may be available for those with specified learning
ATTENDANCE AT COLLEGE
The course is run over October half term, plus assessment and portfolio building.
- In addition to the practical sessions and assessment you need to produce a Forest School Assistant Portfolio, a guideline for the compilation of this is around 60 hours
- Our Virtual Classroom complete with Lecture Pods and videos exclusive to us (you will be given a log in to this once enrolled)
- A mentor who you can email and ask for support with any questions that may arise
- A few designated specific portfolio building classes
Course cost £370 (contact Student Services to see if eligible for funding).Last updated 16 mins ago.