|Study type||Study Tier||Start Date||Duration||Course Contact|
|1 September 2019||36 weeks||Sally Gaskin|
The Isle of Wight College has standard entry requirements for full-time college courses, depending on the level of the course to be studied.
There may be additional entry requirements for a small number of specialist courses. If this course is one of these specialist courses, additional entry requirements will be stated below.
WHO IS THE COURSE FOR?
The level 2 diploma in Hair & Media Make-Up is a vocational qualification for learners seeking a career as an employed and/or self-employed junior hair & make-up artist.
This qualification is based on the Beauty Therapy (make-up) and Hairdressing standards and is recognised by the UK’s leading professional bodies as being fit for purpose for preparing learners for a career as a junior hair & make-up artist.
Students will attend 3 days per week, plus an additional 42 hours work experience across the duration of your course.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
This qualification includes all the required elements to work effectively as a hair & make-up artist including:
- The art of dressing hair
- The art of photographic make-up
- Apply make-up
- Create an image
- Face and body art design
- Plaiting and twisting hair
- Shaping and colouring eyebrows
All these subjects are supported with relevant Anatomy, Physiology and assignment work. The emphasis during the course is on developing the theory and practical skills, which students will gain working with external clientele. In addition students will learn the fundamentals of customer services, promotional activities and health and safety.
HOW WILL I LEARN?
The course is delivered by specialist staff, which possess industry experience along with specialist qualifications. Teaching sessions incorporate a mixture of activities to ensure students develop skills and knowledge.
Students are assessed through a combination of internally assessed coursework, practical skills and externally assessed examinations. This helps students to develop core skills required for the hair & make-up industry which include the ability to meet deadlines and retention of knowledge as well as application of skills.
WHAT CAN THIS COURSE LEAD TO?
Career opportunities as a junior hair & make-up artist exist in a variety of contexts including:
- Commercial hair & beauty salons
- Independent/self-employed/mobile/home-based setting
- Product manufacturing and training
Whilst this qualifications primary purpose is to prepare learners for employment as a junior hair and make-up artist, learners may choose to develop their skills further by undertaking technical level qualification at Level 3 including:
- Level 3 Diploma in Beauty Therapy
- Level 2 Diploma in Hairdressing
- Level 2 Diploma in Beauty Therapy
- Level 3 Diploma in Media Make-up studies
All Study Programmes for 16-19 year olds at The Isle of Wight College are designed to include:
- Work experience which is effective, relevant, and includes careers fairs, site visits, guest speakers and introduces you to the expectations of the real demands of work
- Extended work experience/industry placement for Level 2 learners Over the course of your Level 2 study programme you may be expected to do between 36 – 415 hours of industry placement depending on the course you have chosen. All learners are expected, and encouraged, to do their best to find their own relevant, purposeful work experience which supports their career progression.
- English and maths, where students have not yet achieved a GCSE grade A* - C (9 - 4 using the new grades) in these subjects by age 16
- Non-qualification activity, such as tutorials and work-related learning, to help further develop the personal skills relevant to your progression goals
- A vocational experience which will form the substantial part of the programme
These four elements of the programme should combine to provide stretch and challenge for you helping to prepare you for progression to employment or further study.
Please refer to the 16 to 19 study programme document to learn more.Last updated 4 mins ago.