|Location||Industry||Salary||Posted on||Closing date|
|St Helens||Marine||£4.50 per hour||Wed, 07 August 2019||Fri, 23 August 2019|
Here at The Isle of Wight College we work with a number of employers, in a vast array of industries. A fantastic opportunity has arisen to work as a Boat Building Apprentice at Will Squibb Boatbuilding.
If you have an interest in boating and a keen interest in maintaining a variety of vessel sizes, this could be the perfect role for you.
With over 30 years’ experience, Will Squibb Boatbuilding look after boats from various local fleets including Seaview Mermaids, Bembridge Redwings, Bembridge Scows, Seaview Dinghies and Bembridge One Designs (BODs).
Will Squibb Boatbuilding provide a wide range of services in-house through their multi-skilled team, including slipping and storage of boats up to 60 feet, rigging, wood & GRP laminate work, rib-tube repairs, marine engineering and electrical work.
Rather excitingly, the business are now looking for an enthusiastic and capable apprentice to join their friendly family-run boatyard based on the The Duver in St Helens.
This is a unique opportunity for a hardworking and creative apprentice to work alongside skilled professionals and gain a wealth of experience within an established and traditional boatyard.
The role will be extremely varied and will include a wide range of tasks and responsibilities whilst working towards a Boat Building Apprenticeship.
Tasks and responsibilities will include:
· Working with a variety of tools and materials to assist with repairs and refits to vessels including timber, GRP and painting
· Anti-fouling, cleaning and polishing vessels
· Assisting with boatyard movements, launching and haul ups
· Supporting with the lay-up and winterisation of the boats and engines and recommissioning
· Installation of engines, stern gear and various vessel systems
· General assistance around the boatyard
· Adhering to all health and safety regulations
The successful applicant will of course be given adequate guidance and training with all tasks and responsibilities and will be supported to ensure the work undertaken within the role goes towards supporting the Boat Building Apprenticeship qualification with The Isle of Wight College.
Person Specification and Essential Qualities
· Team player
· Willingness to learn and the ability to use own initiative
· A keen eye for detail
· Ability to work to technical specifications, quality standards and health and safety regulations
· Although not essential, a driving license and own transportation would be useful due to the location of the role
GCSE grade C/4 or above in English & Maths (or equivalent qualification and/or ability to work towards these Functional Skills)
· Boat Building Level 3 Standard
· Functional Skills in Maths and English, if required
· One day a week attendance at Cecamm as part of the apprenticeship course
· There is a requirement to complete 20% off the job training, this includes time spent either learning something new, other courses, qualification course work or any support work that is not in your usual role
37.5 hours per week
Monday to Friday
9am – 5pm
£4.50 per hour
Apprenticeship duration will be on average 48 months.
The closing date for applications is 23rd August 2019.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited in for a trial with the view for the successful candidate to start in September 2019.
The current National Minimum Wage (NMW) rate for apprentices is £3.90 per hour. This applies to 16-18-year-old apprentices and those aged over 19 in the first year of their Apprenticeship. For all other apprentices the National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies. The Minimum Wage for Apprentices applies to time spent on the job plus time spent training. For more information visit: www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Once qualified and on completion of a successful apprenticeship with the business, they envisage the applicant to join the team on a permanent, full time basis, depending on suitability/need.
So, if this sounds like the next, or indeed first step you want to take with your career, then please apply below with a cover letter telling us why you feel you would be the ideal person to take on this brilliant opportunity. Don’t forget to attach your latest CV too!!
*Please note applications without a CV or covering letter will not be considered.Last updated 4 mins ago.