|Location||Industry||Salary||Posted on||Closing date|
|Ventnor||Horticulture||£117.00- £156 per week||Fri, 13 March 2020||Mon, 20 April 2020|
Here at the Isle of Wight College we work with a number of employers, in a vast array of industries. We now have a fantastic opportunity for an Apprentice Gardener to join Ventnor Botanic Garden, undertaking an Intermediate Level 2 work based NVQ in Horticulture.
If you have itchy feet to get out of the classroom and into the world of work, or you just want to gain valuable skills to take on the career you dream about, then now is your chance! You can learn on the job within a supportive environment, achieving a recognised qualification and most importantly hands on experience.
Basking in the microclimate of The Undercliff, Ventnor Botanic Garden on the Isle of Wight is one of the great gardens of Britain. Their subtropical and exotic plant collection is unrivalled; plants that should be found in protected glasshouses thrive and naturalise out of doors. The garden is an immersive landscape, transporting the visitor to experience Mediterranean regions from around the world.
This is a unique opportunity for an apprentice to work with a world famous horticulture team.
Your duties will include:
- To assist in the production of plants and maintenance of grounds and garden
- Keep all areas clear from weed and leaf debris Water and feed areas as necessary.
- Learning about the plant material
- To assist with all new project work on the grounds
- To talk to visitors about the grounds and gardens whenever required
- To ensure all tasks are carried out in a safe and controlled manner
- Use machinery and equipment as required
You will need to:
- Be flexible and work effectively as a member of a successful team
- To ensure the safe use, operation and storage of tools, plant and machinery
- Be self-confident, ambitious and motivated
- Good team player
- Good communication skills
- Ability to follow and implement instructions
- Good literacy and numeracy skills
- Willingness to learn and to be trained
- Be able to work independently or under supervision
- Punctual and hard working
- Methodical and orderly in your work
- A good team member with a great personality and a passion plants
- No formal qualifications required, however a passion for plants and self-motivation is key.
- Ideally 5 GCSE Grade C/4 or above (or equivalent qualification) in English and maths.
- This will be a demanding job so you must be physically fit.
- Driving license would be a bonus, but not essential.
- Horticulture Level 2
- Apprenticeship duration will be 24 months
- Functional Skills – if not already achieved a GCSE C (or above) in maths, IT and English (or equivalent qualification)
- There is a requirement to complete 20% off job training, College attendance will contribute but time spent either learning something new, other courses or any support work you that is not your usual role will also be counted
- You will be working 30 – 40 hours per week over 5 days. You may be required to work some weekends.
- guided study time in the workplace every week
- £117.00-£156.00 per week
Once qualified, there may be an opportunity to progress to a Level 3 Horticulture Apprenticeship or full time employment, depending on suitability / need.
ALL APPLICANTS NEED TO HVE APPLIED WITH A COVERING LETTER AND CV TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THE ROLE.
Closing date for applications will be Monday 20th April 2020 and interviews for successful applicants, which will be held shortly after.
Your details will be processed and recorded in accordance with the Data Protection Act.
The current National Minimum Wage (NMW) rate for apprentices is £3.90 per hour. This applies to 16-18 year old apprentices and those aged over 19 in the first year of their Apprenticeship. For all other apprentices the National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies. The Minimum Wage for Apprentices applies to time spent on the job plus time spent training. For more information visit: www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Last updated 47 mins ago.