|Location||Industry||Salary||Posted on||Closing date|
|Cowes||Engineering||£156.00 per week||Fri, 15 March 2019||Fri, 29 March 2019|
Here at The Isle of Wight College we work with a number of employers, in a vast array of industries. A fantastic opportunity has arisen to work as an Apprentice Steel Site Fitter at DMR Engineering.
Established in the early 80’s, DMR Engineering (IW) Limited is the Isle of Wight’s largest Fabrication and Welding company.
Based in Cowes, they maintain and supply some of the leading manufacturing companies on the Isle of Wight, including Vestas, Gurit & GKN Aerospace. They also provide steelwork for the construction industry and their capabilities include structural steel work, balconies, railings and site fabrication/fitting to name a few.
Due to recent exciting success with apprentice development, they are now looking to employ an Apprentice Steel Site Fitter to support their busy fitting team. The successful candidate will be working towards an Apprenticeship in Fabrication and Welding.
Working alongside experienced team members, you will be enthusiastic, committed to learn and keen to forge a career in this industry.
Tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Learning all aspects of site fitting and working practices connected to steelwork
- Fitting structural steelwork
- Cladding buildings
- Fitting glass and stainless balconies
- Working on customer sites away from the workshop
The work is varied and very rewarding, where you will get to work all over the island in some amazing places. As the nature of the role requires work outdoors, the successful applicant will need to be prepared to work in all types of weather.
Personal, Essential Qualities
- Well presented, reliable & punctual
- Willing to learn
- As heavy manual handling is involved, the successful applicant will need to be fit and strong
- Willing to work hard with possible early starts
- Able to apply their own initiative
- Highly self-motivated
- Driving licence would be advantageous
GCSE grade C/4 or above in English & Maths (or equivalent qualification and/or ability to work towards these Functional Skills)
- Level 3 NVQ in Fabrication and Welding
- Functional Skills in Maths, English and ICT if required
- One day weekly attendance at Cecamm from September 2019
- There is a requirement to complete 20% off the job training, College attendance will contribute but time spent either learning something new, other courses or any support work that is not in your usual role will also be counted
- 40 hours per week
- Monday – Friday – 8am – 4.30pm
- One-day attendance in Cecamm from September as part of the qualification
- £156.00 per week
Apprenticeship duration will be around 24 months.
Closing date for applications for this role is 29th March 2019, with interviews to be held in April and a view for the apprentice to start with DMR from around May time.
The current National Minimum Wage (NMW) rate for apprentices is £3.70 per hour. This will be increasing to £3.90 per hour in April 2019. This applies to 16-18-year-old apprentices and those aged over 19 in the first year of their Apprenticeship. For all other apprentices the National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies. The Minimum Wage for Apprentices applies to time spent on the job plus time spent training. For more information visit: www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Once qualified, there may be an opportunity to progress to a full time employment, depending on suitability / need.
So, if this sounds like the next, or indeed first step you want to take with your career, then please apply with a cover letter telling us why you feel you would be the ideal person to take on this brilliant opportunity. Don’t forget to attach your latest CV too!!
*Please note applications without a CV or covering letter will not be considered.Last updated 2 mins ago.