|Location||Industry||Salary||Posted on||Closing date|
|Cowes||Engineering||To be determined||Thu, 14 March 2019||Fri, 22 March 2019|
Here at The Isle of Wight College we work with a number of employers, in a vast array of industries. A fantastic opportunity has arisen to work as a Composites Apprentice for Vision Yachts Ltd.
If you are looking for the first step in your Engineering career, this could be the perfect role for you.
Based in Cowes, Vision Yachts Ltd have built up a great reputation of having extensive knowledge and a depth of experience in a wide range of composite construction. This includes: Round the World and Admirals Cup yachts, and composite components. Their main current work is for the wind turbine industry, manufacturing prototype and production composite components, as well as wood and composite mould making and development work.
The business pride themselves on their record of finishing on time and within budget, whilst maintaining high standards of workmanship and finish.
This is a unique opportunity to join a well-established island business whilst working towards a Composites Engineering Apprenticeship Qualification. Initially you will rotate through the factory working and learning from others using a variety of materials and processes.
Role & Responsibilities will include:
Vision Yachts are looking for an ambitious, enthusiastic apprentice who has the capacity and desire to advance and become:
- A highly skilled composite laminator
- Used to working with a variety of materials and processes
- Able to read and follow drawings and specifications
- Able to work independently
- Able to work as part of a team, motivating others
- Embraces and enforces health and safety
- Confident completing quality records
You will need to:
- Have a basic knowledge of composite work
- Be self-motivated
- Able to work in a team
- Have a strong appetite to learn
- Be always looking for continuous improvement
GCSE grade C/4 or above in English, IT Maths (or equivalent qualification and/or ability to work towards these Functional Skills)
- Composites Level 2 Apprenticeship
- Functional Skills in Maths and English if required
- 12 – 18 month duration
- There is a requirement to complete 20% off the job training, College attendance will contribute but time spent either learning something new, other courses or any support work that is not in your usual role will also be counted
- 40 hours a week
- One day a week attending Cecamm
Apprentices are also entitled to apply for a discounted bus pass to support with travel costs.
The current National Minimum Wage (NMW) rate for apprentices is £3.70 per hour (this will be increasing to £3.90 per hour from April 2019). This applies to 16-18 year old apprentices and those aged over 19 in the first year of their Apprenticeship. For all other apprentices the National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies. The Minimum Wage for Apprentices applies to time spent on the job plus time spent training. For more information visit: www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Once qualified, there may be an opportunity to progress to full time employment, depending on suitability/need.
So, if this sounds like the next step you want to take with your career, then please apply below with a cover letter telling us why you feel you would be the ideal person to take on this brilliant opportunity. Don’t forget to attach your latest CV too!
ANY APPLICATIONS THAT ARE SUBMITTED WITH ONLY A CV BUT NO COVER LETTER, WILL NOT BE CONSIDEREDLast updated 4 mins ago.